Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Technical difference between the old and new forum (for Norbert)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical difference between the old and new forum (for Norbert)

The biggest difference is that the new forum only functions with javascript enabled in your browser. For example, if we look at the code in the old forum for the button sending you to the first page of a thread (Sbiper's And they shall reap the whirlwind), we see simple HTML highlighted in blue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2016-01-21 11:35:21.png
Views:	1
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	452

However, if we look at the button for previous in the Welcome thread on the new forum we see a call to a script in blue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2016-01-21 11:36:14.png
Views:	1
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	451

It is probably safe as well as necessary to enable javascript for the new forum because there are no adverts and thus no one has the ability to send malware scripts from some unknown site to the page. I use Firefox with the Noscript addon which can allow scripts from a page but deny scripts from other sites.

It should indeed be safe. I used a considerably newer version of vBulletin (5 versus 3.x used at the old site), and bought the software, so I am able to not ever have advertisements or the like.

Comment

It works with Google Chrome, and I am getting used to that. I use Chrome sometimes when large files need to be downloaded that IE can't handle (greater than 1 gb ) I can live with it unless there is a simple way to enable javascript, if that is the problem.

Comment

I still have some trouble managing the subscriptions (and the updates in them).

Comment

Is there a way to get a larger reply box?

Comment

How do you subscribe to specific threads?
            My Works:

The Messenger

The Great Change: A Return of Magic

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar View Post
              How do you subscribe to specific threads?
              There is a subscribe button on top of the thread (top right) that looks like +SUBSCRIBE:

Comment

Originally posted by Midgard View Post

There is a subscribe button on top of the thread (top right) that looks like +SUBSCRIBE: